PV Analysis of the Belt and Road Initiative

Home News & Analysis PV Analysis of the Belt and Road Initiative

PV Demand Analysis of the Belt and Road Initiative: Oman of Western Asia

Oman Country Profile

Oman, with a population of 4.6 million, depends on oil resources economically. In 2017, its agreement to the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries’ (OPEC) oil production cut deal and financial stringency has dragged down the nation’s economy, leading to a GDP growth rate of -0.273%. However, thanks to successful investment promotion in the special economic zone, the amount of foreign direct investment (FDI) flowing into Oman reached US$ 180 million in 2017, a 10% rise compared to 2016. Since both oil prices and output have gradually become stabilized in 2018,  the world is expecting an economic turnaround for Oman.

Since Oman’s economy has been dominated by oil production, the nation has been exposed to higher economic risk. Fitch, the international credit rating agency, assigned Oman a rating of BBB-,  reflecting a negative economic outlook.

Oman has a desert climate. The nation’s average daily solar radiation reaches 5.5-6kWh/m2 in summer and 2.5-3kWh/m2 in winter. By 2017, the cumulative PV installation is 8MW.

Renewable Energy Development in Oman

Up to 96% of Oman’s energy comes from natural gas and the remaining 4% from fossil fuels (Diesel). The country plans to source 10% of electricity from renewables by 2025.

To achieve the goal, Oman’s government plans to add 2.6GW of combined renewable energy installation generated from solar, wind, and waste projects by 2024. Of which, solar energy is a major development project, which is expected to reach 2.1GW of PV installation, taking up 80% of the total installation goal. Solar power is also expected to satisfy 30% of the demand for main power systems.

Oman PV policy

If things go as planned, Oman will witness the fastest growth of renewables from 2021 to 2024.

Oman's PV Policy and Demand

1. Roof-top Project - SAHIM

SAHIM is divided into two phases. Initiated in March 2018, the first phase aims to add 1GW of roof-top installation.

Targeting at 3kW-5kW roof-top project, the second phase plans to open 3,000 residential projects for tender in the first half of 2019. The combined installation is expected to reach 9MW-15MW. All projects must complete grid-connection by the end of 2023.

2. Utility-Scale Auctions

As mentioned, Oman plans to launch four tenders with 500MW installed capacity for each, amounting to 2GW in total.

In January 2018, the Oman Power and Water Procurement Company (OPWP) held the first auction for utility-scale projects with a total installation of 500MW in Ibri. A budget of US$ 500 million will be allocated to the construction. Shortlisted projects are shown in the below graph:

Oman PV Tender

The result will  be announced in early 2019. The winning companies must complete  grid-connection by the end of June 2021.

According to the auction timetable, there will be a total of 2GW utility-scale project demand between 2021 to 2024 with an average annual demand of 500MW. Since all projects must be connected to the grid by 2021, module demand will begin to emerge in late 2019.

In addition to utility-scale auctions launched by the Omani government, some state-owned enterprises have also engaged in solar PV development (see table below).

Oman PV IPP item

Oman-China Trade: Module Imports and Exports

1.  Analysis of China's Export Performance with Oman

According to PV InfoLink’s customs database, China’s module exports to Oman reached 135MW in 2018, showing an increase of 335% year-on-year (YoY) growth rate compared to 2017. Since the government is still planning the utility-scale auction, PV InfoLink assumes the 135MW quota is for roof-top projects and state-owned independent PV plants. In addition, Oman’s peak season comes in the end of first quarter, the second, and the fourth quarters while low season starts in the third quarter, in which demand is relatively low.

Oman PV  China module shipment

2. China-Oman Mono & Multi Module Shipment

According to PV InfoLink’s customs export database of 2018, Oman has higher demand for multi modules, representing 78% of China’s total exports to Oman. Mono modules, on the other hand, accounted for 22% of the total.

Oman PV Module proportion of multi Mono


The economy in Oman has been hampered by fluctuations in oil prices for years. Currently, 96% of the nation’s electricity demand comes from natural gas and 4% from fossil fuel. To achieve energy diversity, Oman has put more efforts toward developing renewable energy in recent years. By 2025, the nation plans to reach 10% renewable energy share.

The highlight of Oman’s PV policy is the utility-scale auction with a total of 2GW capacity,  projects of which are expected to connect to the grid by 2025. The first 500-MW auction will announce the winners in early 2019, and the winning projects are likely to complete grid-connection by mid 2021.

Module shipment in 2018 was significantly higher than that in 2017. Although the total shipment is not too substantial, Oman has witnessed stronger demand. After holding all utility-scale auctions in 2019 through 2024, module demand is expected to increase even more.

*PV InfoLink will hold a seminar titled “2H19 PV Market Trends and Outlook” in Shanghai on June 3. Welcome to join us for more market insights and technology trends.

Previous Go Back Next

欢迎您光临PV InfoLink网站(http://www.pvinfolink.com,以下简称“本网站”),请您详阅下方的本网站的使用条款、以保障双方权益,若使用本网站则表明您已知悉并完全接受这些条款。

§ 1 免责声明

本网站合法获取信息,并尽可能以可靠、准确、完整的信息为基础,但不保证本网站信息的绝对准确性和绝对完整性,亦不对任何人的市场操作、投资建议负任何责任。PV InfoLink保留随时补充、修订或更改有关信息的权利,但并不保证随时发布。

 § 2 版权声明

本网站中的商标、名称、版面设计、自有文章、图片、图表等内容之版权归PV InfoLink所有。对于内容中所含的版权和其他所有权声明,使用者应予以尊重并在其转载、副本中予以保留。如果网站内容无权利声明,并不代表本网站对其不享有权利,也不意味着本网站不主张权利,使用者应根据诚信原则尊重该内容的合法权益并进行合法使用。

§ 3 转载及链接

本网站出于促进业界同仁思想交流和研究探讨之目的,可能包含转载文章或连接到第三方网页上的链接。转载文章所阐述的观点只代表该作者自身观点,本网站转载并不代表赞成或反对其观点。另外,本网站对外部链接并不负审查义务,不担保其准确性及完整性。在收集原始素材时,PV InfoLink尽可能注明文章的作者和来源,如文章作者或版权所有者对此存有异议,并不希望本网站引用、转载,请联系我们,本网站将立即予以删除。

§ 4 拒绝提供担保




本使用条款之订立、修改、更新及最终解释权均属PV InfoLink所有。若您对于本使用条款或本网站有任何问题或建议,欢迎来信service@pvinfolink.com

Welcome to PV InfoLink website (http://www.pvinfolink.com, hereinafter referred to as “this website”). Please read this terms of use agreement carefully to protect the interests of both parties. By accessing this website, you know and fully agree with these terms.

§1 Disclaimer

Information on this website is legally obtained and is based on reliable, accurate, and complete information. But absolute accuracy and completeness is not guaranteed. We assume no responsibility for anyone’s market operation or investment advice. PV InfoLink reserves the right to add, revise, or alter website information anytime, but information will not be guaranteed to be published all the time. 

§2 Copyright statement

The copyright of trademark, name, website layout, articles, photos, charts, etc. on this website are the properties of PV InfoLink. For the copyright and other proprietary statement contained in the content, users should show the respect and cite sources when sharing the article. If the website has no copyright statement, it does not mean that its contents are not protected. Users should respect the legitimate rights for use based on the principle of integrity.

§3 Share and link

This website may share articles or put subcontractor’s link on this website for the purpose of facilitating peer exchange and research. The point of view for the shared article is author’s own point of view. This website does not represent in favor or against the author’s point of view. In addition, this website does not have an obligation to review external links and does not guarantee its accuracy and completeness. For the collection of original sources, we will try to cite the author and source as much as possible. If the author or copyright owner has any opinions and do not want this website to refer or share their content, please contact us. The article will be removed immediately. 

§4 Refuse to provide warranty

This website does not provide any express or implied warranties, including but not limited to commercial suitability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement of the rights of others.

This website is for reference only. Users should determine the immediacy and applicability of such information themselves and have to be responsible for any transaction or investment decisions made.

If users conduct trade transactions with other manufacturers through this website, only the user and the manufacturer have a contractual relationship. This website is not involved in it. If the product or service has any flaws or disputes, users will have to contact the contractor. This website will assume no responsibility for such matters.

The making, modification, renewal, and final interpretation of this Terms of Use are the properties of PV InfoLink. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this Terms of Use or this website, please contact us at service@pvinfolink.com.


PV InfoLink的现货价格主要来自平时与业界的面谈、
但每周根据市场分为略有微调,且加上PV InfoLink专业分析群的市场预测。

PV InfoLink gathers price information from face-to-face/phone interviews and other ways of communication with more than 100 PV companies. We get our average price from the most common transactional data in the market (not weighted average), but prices are slightly adjusted every week according to market conditions. With PV InfoLink’s professional market forecast, we seek the fullness and completeness of the information, but this information is just for reference. We assume no responsibility for anyone’s market operation or investment advice.